If your medical care provider has prescribed you Mounjaro in Canada, you may have questions about proper application and use of the injection pen. Continue reading for detailed instructions and a video demonstration that will enable you to confidently use your medication.
View the video below for a helpful demonstration of the Mounjaro pen.
Always wash your hands with soap and water prior to handling or using the injector pen.
Mounjaro comes in a pre-filled, single-use pen. Check to ensure you have the right medication and dose. Check the pen to ensure that it is not broken or damaged, that the medication is not cloudy, frozen and does not have any particles. It should be colurless to yellow, and the expiration date should not have passed.
Ensure you have all the required supplies including alcohol swabs, sharps disposable container for used needles, and a gauze pad or cotton ball.
Choose your injection site, as advised by your healthcare team. This may include front of the thighs or lower stomach, away from the belly button. Ensure that the area is cleaned with an alcohol swab, and avoid using the same area every week.
Make sure the pen is locked, remove the cap and discard it. Do not put the base cap back on and do not touch the exposed needle.
Push the pen firmly against your skin at the injection site. Unlock the pen by turning the lock ring. Press and hold the injection button for up to 10 seconds. You will hear 2 clicks during this process, to indicate that the injection has started and then stopped. Unlike some other injector pens, you will not hear clicks while the injection is being administered.
Once the grey plunger is visible, the injection is complete. Slowly lift the pen away from your skin and dispose off the pen in an appropriate sharps container.
- Do not touch the area to be injected after cleaning or after injecting with the Mounjaro injection pen.
- If you see some blood at an injection site, press lightly with a sterile gauze pad or cotton ball. Avoid rubbing the area.
- Injection sites should not be the exact same site each week to avoid skin irritation.
- Avoid injecting into tender, bruised, irritated or hard skin, as well as any scars or stretch marks.
- Handle the pen with care as it has glass parts. If it is dropped on a hard surface, do not use it.
- Do not freeze your pen and ensure it is stored according to instructions from your healthcare team and pharmacist.
- Remember that the injections are designed for subcutaneous application (i.e. under the skin tissue), and not into muscle or veins.
The Cloudcure Learning Hub contains educational content providing balanced information on diseases and treatments. The information presented is of a general nature and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any medical questions or concerns, please talk to your doctor or primary healthcare provider.